Who are we?
KINOKINO is a Norwegian centre for contemporary art and moving image, a leading screening arena and forum for innovative arts communication.
Since launching in 2009 KINOKINO has already established itself as one of Norway’s leading institutions for contemporary art that offers high-quality activities on an international level. It is a flexible centre that works as a platform for a varied, challenging and holistic programme through exhibitions, film screenings, lectures, seminars, workshops, debates and other events. It has already proved to be a key arena in Norway for new, concept-based forms of expression, and a network hub for professional art institutions and individuals, from both Norway and abroad.
At an international level, KINOKINO aim to develop their collaborative relationships with foreign artists, curators and cultural institutions in the fields of production, exhibition and moving image.
The vision of the KINOKINO Art and Film Centre is:
This regional art and film centre will be a leading screening arena and a forum for innovative arts communication.
Through creative use of technology in the media of video, film, electronic art, animation, cartoon strips and other forms of artistic expression, we will initiate and promote new forms of expression and communication, as well as new collaboration networks.
• a flexible centre that offers a varied, challenging and holistic exhibition and activity programme through exhibitions, film screenings, lectures, seminars, workshops, debates and other events
• an arena for new, concept-based forms of expression and those generated through the creative use of technology
• a central arena for young people and schools within the creative fields
• a forum bringing together professional groups and a network arena for professional art institutions and individuals, from both Norway and abroad, that will stimulate debate and exchange of ideas through professional groups (artists, film makers and producers, animators, cartoonists etc.), as well as other cultural and social groups
• a place where art-related research, resources and investigation will be fully engaged with the real world.
Young people/recent graduates
• KinoKino are an arena where young people and recent graduates from art and film schools periodically is invited to present their works.
• The centre promotes any collaboration focused on the creative use of technology and audiovisual communication between artists and educational institutions (students and teachers)
The centre is also responsible for managing the art residency programme called “Artist in Residence (AiR) Sandnes”. This programme is funded by Rogaland County Administration and the Sandnes Local Authority and forms part of what KINOKINO has to offer. Artists from all over the world are provided with a studio, a bed-sit and a two-to-four month grant. Typically, artists complete their residency with an exhibition and, where appropriate, are recruited by education institutions to give lectures. Artists who are granted residency are selected according to KINOKINO’s ethos.
KINOKINO focuses on developing collaborative projects, as well as on forging strong alliances and partnerships, with institutions of the same or similar orientation – regionally, nationally and internationally.
We are collaborate on a regular basis with the Sandnes Arts Association, which is also user of the complex.